So .... Why you?
As the project is in its first implementation phase and has only commenced in April 2020, the DS4JI team requires the expertise of a dynamic, independent working team player who is interested in setting up sustainable project and partner structures, who has experience in setting up contracts and tenders, engages in administrative tasks and has a high digital affinity.
About our client and the project ...
The Digital Skills for Jobs and Income Project (DS4JI) supports the improvement of employment prospects of young people, in particular young women, in an increasingly digitalised economy. The project is based on a combination of vocational education, skills development and employment promotion. It supports:
- the access to a qualitatively improved and demand-oriented vocational education at selected TVET-Colleges, by integrating digital skills and methods into the training courses of the formal vocational education and training system (Output 1).
- the access to demand-oriented skills development through supporting selected innovative, non-formal training measures (Output 2).
- the improvement of recruitment policies of companies by supporting HR specialists in the introduction and implementation of new, gender-sensitive approaches to identify applicants with the company's digital skills in demand (Output 3).
- intensified networking and cooperation of initiatives and actors and the exchange of learning experiences in the transformative process of digitalisation of the South African economy (Output 4).
The project is partly funded by the G20 #eSkills4Girls Initative that aims at tackling the existing gender digital divide. Therefore, to a large extend the projects beneficiaries will be young women and girls with the aim to improve their access to the digital world.
On the German side the DS4JI is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The project is part of the newly established Vocational Education and Skills Development Cluster.
What you Must have:
- A Post-graduate university qualification in Business Administration, Economics or similar areas;
- Qualification should be enhanced by at least 10 years’ relevant working experience with a good understanding of the following;
- Experience in designing and implementing (informal) training measures, especially with digital focus and gender;
- Experience and profound knowledge of the South African Digital ecosystem and the training system;
- Familiarity with and understanding of 21st century skills requirements and growth areas in the South African economy;
- Experience and strong knowledge of gender issues and gender trans-formative requirements and methods;
- Ability to engage in multiple stakeholder processes, especially those involving private and public sector collaborations in the skills development sector;
- Knowledge of and experience with principals and standards of contracts and tenders with the public and private sector is of advantage;
- Strong networking skills and social media experience;
- Team management and leadership skills;
- Strong project management skills, able to break up complex deliverables into manageable plans with realistic tasks;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently in a structured, methodical manner;
- Experience within the context of international development cooperation is an advantage;
- Excellent writing and communication skills, fluency in English;
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills;
- Familiarity with gender-sensitive project approaches;
- Self-driven, quick to learn, flexible and highly motivated;
- Flexibility and mobility: if required readiness to travel (national / international) and to have flexible working hours; driving license;
- Relevant computer skills (Microsoft Office including MS Teams, Outlook; Sharepoint; etc.).
What will you be doing?
- Management is responsible for the results and the performance of staff within outputs 2 and 3 of the project and for managing all staff who report to him / her (management responsibility for staff in salary bands 1-4). The team will consist of up to 7 persons.
- manages staff in accordance with management principles and guidelines to promote a sense of corporate identity, enables employees to carry out tasks independently and create scope for creativity and innovation.
- is responsible for recruiting, selecting, grading, planning the assignment of the professional development of staff members who report to him / her.
- is also responsible for monitoring, managing staff and ensuring that they provide cost-effective services.
- carries out the annual staff assessment and development talk for staff members who report to him / her.
- is responsible for steering and management of the performance of contractors and external consultants / consulting firms contributing to the achievement of the target indicators of the outputs.
- develops, communicates and administers team performance and develops plans and appraisals.
- Technical is responsible for the technical set-up, the planning and the implementation of Outputs 2 and 3 of the DS4JI project and the performance of the underlying processes.
- contributes to the technical design of measures / Terms of Reference and activities and ensures the quality of implementation also by external resources / service providers contracted by performance contracts or financing agreements.
- contributes to the financial planning and reporting and adjustment if necessary of Outputs 2 and 3 according to GIZ-standards and rules and regulations in cooperation with the Project Director and the Finance and Administration Officer.
- is responsible for the achievement of the target indicators of Outputs 2 and 3 and monitoring and reporting of the achievement accordingly and in time with the reporting cycles.
- contributes to the projects results-based monitoring and reporting processes.
- represents the DS4JI project in targeted, relevant platforms, meetings and events nationally and internationally.
- Technical Assistance includes design, plan and steer the implementation of Output measures and activities like trainings on the acquisition of digital and foundational competences for the different target groups, especially girls and young women. Trainings will be contracted to service providers.
- Initiate, develop, support and manage the implementation of the DS4JI cooperation with the private sector to support skills development and recruiting processes;
- Design, plan and steer the implementation of digital recruiting processes in South African Medium sized enterprises in different sectors.
- Capacity building of HR-personnel in South African Medium sized enterprises for digital transformation.
- Setup and implementation of a mentoring network between successful business women of South Africa and men-tees of the different target groups (will be contracted).
- Networking of different existing initiatives with focus on digital skills and women and girls promotion in South Africa and supporting their activities.
- Set up data driven / data based processes and tools for pathway management of trainees and serve interfaces to other projects and initiatives where necessary.
- Coordination and Management includes plan and budget measures to support the non-formal Training System and medium-sized companies within the private sector;
- Manage and administer DS4JI project teams of Outputs 2 and 3;
- Develop, manage and steer implementation of services provided by consulting companies.
- Contribute to the DS4JI results-based monitoring system, reporting processes and knowledge management;
- Represent the DS4JI project in targeted, relevant platforms, meetings and events nationally and internationally.
For your info:
- This position is based in Pretoria
- Contract position
- Must have a valid drivers license