About our client's project .... and why you?
As the project is in its first implementation phase and has only commenced in April 2020, the DS4JI team requires the expertise of a dynamic, independent working team player who is interested in setting up sustainable project and partner structures, who enjoys to develop creative approaches, engages in administrative tasks and has a high digital affinity.
On the German side the DS4JI is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The project is part of the newly established Technical Vocational Education and Employment Cluster.
The Digital Skills for Jobs and Income Project (DS4JI) supports the improvement of employment prospects of young people, in particular young women, in an increasingly digitalised economy. The project is based on a combination of vocational education, skills development and employment promotion.
The project is partly funded by the G20 #eSkills4Girls Initative that aims at tackling the existing gender digital divide. Therefore, to a large extend the projects beneficiaries will be young women and girls with the aim to improve their access to the digital world.
What you Must have:
- A Post-graduate university qualification in Economics, Social Sciences, Education or similar areas.
- Alternatively: Education and extensive professional experience as (TVET) teacher and / or TVET manager.
- Qualification should be enhanced by at least 8-10 years’ relevant working experience with a good understanding of the following:
- South African TVET system and the structure and operations of TVET schools and curricula;
- Knowledge of Digital Skills requirements and Future of Work issues.
- Understanding of Digital Skills frameworks for educators.
- Familiarity with and understanding of 21st century skills requirements and growth areas in the South African economy;
- Ability to engage in multiple stakeholder processes, especially those involving private-and public sector collaborations in the TVET sector;
- Strong project management skills, able to break up complex deliverables into manageable plans with realistic tasks; knowledge and experience with agile methods
- Technical leadership of a team;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently in a structured, methodical manner;
- Excellent writing and communication skills, fluency in English.
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills;
- Familiarity with gender-sensitive project approaches;
- Self-driven, quick to learn, flexible and highly motivated;
- Flexibility and mobility: if required readiness to travel (national / international) and to have flexible working hours; driving license;
What will you be doing?
- Technical set-up and implementation of Output 1 of the DS4JI project
- Technical guidance of team members working in Output 1;
- The achievement of the set Outputs indicators;
- The contribution to the projects results-based monitoring and reporting processes.
- is responsible for the results and the achievements within the Output, i.e. technical responsibility of the performance of team members (without disciplinary responsibility);
- is responsible for steering and management of the performance of contractors and external consultants / consulting firms contributing to the achievement of the target indicators of the outputs;
- supports in the Project manager in recruiting, selecting, grading, planning the assignment of the professional development of staff members;
- is responsible for monitoring, managing staff and ensuring that they provide cost-effective services;
- has a strong role in developing the team performance and quality of performance further compliant to the rules and regulations of GIZ;
- is responsible for the communication of output relevant information that this is done in accordance with the communication guidelines of GIZ;
- manage the interface to the Skills Development for the Green Economy II Project within the cluster and ensures a sound and impact oriented cooperation
- is responsible for the technical set-up, the planning and the implementation of Output 1 of the DS4JI project and the performance of the underlying processes;
- contributes to the technical design of measures / Terms of Reference and activities and ensures the quality of implementation also by external resources / service providers contracted by performance contracts or financing agreements;
- contributes to the financial planning and reporting and adjustment if necessary of Output 1 according to GIZ-standards and rules and regulations in cooperation with the Project manager and the Finance and Administration Officer;
- is responsible for the achievement of the target indicators of Output 1 and monitoring and reporting of the achievement accordingly and in time with the reporting cycles;
- contributes to the projects results-based monitoring and reporting processes;
- represents the DS4JI project in targeted, relevant platforms, meetings and events nationally and internationally.
- Initiate, develop, support and manage the implementation of the DS4JI Output 1 in cooperation with selected TVET colleges and companies to support the integration of digital competencies and methods in training programmes of the formal TVET sector;
- Design, plan and steer the implementation of Output measures and activities like trainings on the acquisition of digital and foundational competences for TVET students and TVET teaching personnel in colleges and companies. A special focus is given on girls and young women. Trainings will be contracted to service providers;
- Initiate, develop, support and manage the implementation of the DS4JI cooperation with the private sector that cooperates with TVET colleges.
- Assist in building and strengthening capacities of the TVET teaching and management personnel by integrating digital teaching and learning methods such as e-learning or blended learning;
- Assist in strengthening the capacities of DHET and further relevant stakeholders in the TVET system.
- Foster the cooperation and the networking between the TVET-colleges and different existing initiatives with focus on digital skills and women and girls promotion in South Africa and supporting their activities.
- Set-up learning processes and ensure knowledge management for policy making processes and system relevant improvements in the South African TVET system.
- Set up data driven / data based processes and tools for pathway management of TVET graduates and serve interfaces to other projects and initiatives where necessary.
Coordination and Management
- Contribute to the DS4JI results-based monitoring system, reporting processes and knowledge management;
- Plan and budget measures to support the formal TVET system and selected TVET colleges;
- Provide technical guidance to the project team;
- Manage and serve the interface to other projects inside and outside the cluster where relevant.
- Represent the DS4JI programme in targeted, relevant platforms, meetings and events.
More info ...
- This role reports to the Project Manager | Digital Skills for Jobs and Income
- This position is Pretoria based
- Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a Motivation Letter (Why GIZ and why You?)
- and a detailled CV
- Also note that this is a fixed contract position