The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH draws on a wealth of regional and technical expertise as well as tried and tested management know-how. As a federal enterprise, we support the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ offers customized solutions to complex challenges. We offer demand-driven, tailor-made and effective services for sustainable development in more than 130 countries worldwide.
The “FAIR Forward – Artificial Intelligence for All” is a new global initiative of German Development Cooperation. It strives for a more open, inclusive and sustainable approach to AI on the international level. Its principal objective is to lay the foundations in selected partner countries needed for triggering the development of local AI. These local AI solutions can then help to foster sustainable human development. To achieve this, the initiative is working together with five partner countries: Ghana, Rwanda, South Africa, Uganda and India. To lay the foundations for developing local AI, the initiative pursues the following three goals:
- Strengthen Local Skills and Knowledge in AI – Capacity Building;
- Remove Barriers of Entry to Developing AI – Access to Training Data and AI Technologies for Local Innovation;
- Develop Policy Frameworks Ready for AI – Ethical AI, Data Protection and Privacy
In South Africa, the key focus of the initiative will be on the following:
- Exchange on ethical policy frameworks on AI between South African and European partners, and within the Smart Africa Alliance and
- Skills and knowledge for AI. This will include the development and implementation of training programmes for AI practitioners on topics related to AI.
As a global initiative, FAIR Forward will be anchored in the structures of the GIZ Office South Africa.
What you will be doing:
In this context, “FAIR Forward” is currently looking for a motivated colleague who will act as the focal point on AI in Pretoria, South Africa. As an AI Advisor you will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Manage the development and implementation of project activities on “Artificial Intelligence for all” in South Africa – this will involve supporting the development and implementation of a country-specific operational plan;
- Co-ordinate the development and implementation of AI skills training programmes for South African AI practitioners and facilitate multi-stakeholder co-ordination and co-operation on AI skills initiatives in the country;
- Design, organise and implement multi-stakeholder co-ordination on AI, involving policy makers, private sector, academia and innovation hubs;
- Support the GIZ regional team in assisting the Smart Africa Secretariat in the development of the AI policy blueprint and liaise with South African government partners;
- Cooperate with a broad range of stakeholders on AI, mainly from government, private sector (including innovation labs and start-ups) and universities in South Africa on a daily basis and build strategic partnerships, particularly in the area of skills building in AI;
- Support the management of subcontractors and supervision of events, consultancies and studies, and monitoring and evaluation of measures on AI in South Africa;
- Manage meetings and events of the initiative in South Africa with other stakeholders and service providers (preparation, implementation, follow-up, information flow);
- Ensure knowledge transfer within the global implementing team of FAIR Forward and provide inputs for various project reports including annual reports;
- Facilitate administrative and logistical procedures for activities in coordination with the GIZ administration team;
- Other tasks as required.
What you must have:
- Minimum requirement Masters of Science in Political Sciences, Computer Sciences, International Relations, studies related to sustainable human development with a focus on Digital topics, or other fields in an area related to the project objectives.
- At least 5 - 8 years of professional experience in a comparable position;
- Work experience in Policy Advice on Digital Development / Digital Transformation with government partners;
- Professional/academic experience in the area of Artificial Intelligence or Data Science;
- Professional experience in Project Management, preferably in a development cooperation context and in international Projects;
- Excellent understanding of key applications and challenges of artificial intelligence, machine learning and/or data in an international development context.
- Proven ability to build and manage internal and external relationships and build strategic partnerships and networks; an established network in the areas of digital transformation / Artificial Intelligence / Data4Development in South Africa is desirable;
- Experience with designing, planning and implementing workshops and trainings in the area of digitalization / AI;
- Ability to take responsibility and work on own initiative as a focal point while having a tight time schedule;
- Team oriented, analytical and communicative skills, also in cross-country, cross-cultural teams; preferably, first experience in working remotely with team members in other locations;
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of the English language; working knowledge of German is an advantage;
- Very good working knowledge of computer applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, virtual team platforms);
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management;
- Disciplined and punctual; willingness to keep deadlines
For your info ...
- This position is based in Pretoria;
- This is a contract position until 30 June 2022;
- Include in your application a Motivation Letter highlighting why GIZ should hire you and why your experience, qualification and skill set is a fit? Focus on the key criteria for this role and "why you"?
- A detailed CV is mandatory.